Benzodiazepines treat anxiety, seizures, insomnia, muscle spasms, alcohol withdrawal, and many other conditions. However, they can cause addiction when taken against a doctor’s recommendation. These drugs may also interact with other commonly misused substances such as opioids. Common types of benzodiazepines include:
- Alprazolam (Xanax®)
- Clonazepam (Klonopin®)
- Lorazepam (Ativan®)
- Temazepam (Restoril®)
If you have an addiction to “benzos,” Gateway Foundation can help. Our benzo drug addiction treatment center in Illinois helps patients like you recover.
Side Effects and Risks of Benzodiazepine Misuse
Doctors usually prescribe benzodiazepines for short periods. When a patient takes their prescription benzodiazepine medicine for the recommended time, they have a minimal risk of addiction. However, taking it for an extended period or misusing it raises the danger of dependence.
Using benzodiazepines may cause these side effects:
- Memory issues
- Difficulty with coordination and balance
When someone has a physical dependence on benzos, they can have withdrawal symptoms such as:
- Muscle tension
- Aches and pains
- Blurred vision
Drugs such as alcohol and opioids can intensify the side effects of benzodiazepines. People who take opioids should avoid benzodiazepines because of their combined effects. Benzos can increase the risk of opioid overdose for anyone who takes opioids, including patients who take them as directed by their doctor.
Signs and Symptoms of Benzo Addiction
Taking benzos against a doctor’s directions or misusing them can lead to an addiction. You might have an addiction to benzodiazepine if you show signs like:
- Using a large amount of your money and time on getting and using benzos
- Having an inability to reduce the amount of benzos you take or stopping them
- Needing to take more benzos to feel the same effects as before
You have help available if you think you have an addiction to benzodiazepines. As a treatable disease, benzo addiction can have manageable symptoms with the right support.
Treatment Options for Benzodiazepine Addiction
An Illinois benzo drug addiction rehabilitation treatment center may offer services such as:
- Patient evaluation: At the beginning of your addiction treatment, your clinic will complete an assessment that examines your health and past experiences.
- Supervised detox: To help you stop taking benzos with as few withdrawal symptoms as possible, your doctor will taper you off them gradually.
- Addiction therapy: Group and individual counseling will help you manage the emotional aspects of addiction and build recovery skills.
- Relapse prevention: Once you finish your treatment, you may receive post-treatment care to help you stay drug-free.
Every patient has a different experience with their benzo drug addiction rehab center. The services you get may differ from the care that another patient receives.
Benefits of Visiting a Benzo Drug Rehabilitation Center in Illinois
Comprehensive benzo drug rehab centers in Illinois and throughout the United States address all aspects of addiction. They take the physical, emotional, social, and financial elements of benzo addiction into account to help patients recover. Successful benzo drug rehab treatment can assist you with:
- Managing benzo withdrawal symptoms
- Creating a stable life at home, work and school
- Rebuilding relationships with friends, family and loved ones
- Joining a support network of patients and professionals who understand addiction
As you progress through benzo addiction treatment, you will work with your treatment team to set and achieve recovery goals. You get the opportunity to build a new life or take back the one you had before drugs.
What to Expect During an Illinois Benzo Drug Treatment Program at Gateway Foundation
Treatment programs for benzo addiction at Gateway Foundation involve these steps:
- Needs evaluation: We will assess your physical and mental health to create a personalized treatment plan.
- Co-occurring disorder treatment: If necessary, we will also arrange treatment for any conditions related to your addiction.
- Recovery skills learning: Through individual therapy, group counseling, and other support services, we will help you learn new coping behaviors.
- Relapse prevention: Our team will also create a relapse prevention plan so we can help you commit to recovery in the future.
We have many types of therapy and support services available so you can find the best approach for your needs.
Reasons to Choose Gateway Foundation for Benzo Drug Addiction Treatment in Illinois
Gateway Foundation has more than 50 years of history treating patients in and around Chicago. We use evidence-based care that aims to support patients for the rest of their lives. For more information about our services, contact our team online today.