“Crack” cocaine has more potency than regular cocaine because of its processing method. Cocaine becomes crack cocaine when someone processes it with ammonia or baking soda, causing it to gain more potent effects. This extra strength and the drug’s lower cost make crack cocaine even more addictive than regular cocaine.
If you think you or a loved one has a crack cocaine addiction, let Gateway Foundation help. Our crack cocaine drug addiction rehabilitation centers serve patients in Illinois.
Benefits of Seeking Help for a Crack Cocaine Addiction
A crack cocaine drug rehab center will support you through recovery with evidence-based methods. Treatment for cocaine addiction gives you a chance to:
- Work on your physical and mental health using positive behaviors
- Manage the symptoms of withdrawal while reducing your crack cocaine use
- Find community in other addiction patients and your treatment team
- Reconnect with friends, family and loved ones
With crack cocaine addiction treatment, you can achieve the life you envision. You get the opportunity to build a new life or get back the life you had before drugs.
Ways That Crack Cocaine Addiction Affects the Body and Brain
Cocaine acts as a central nervous system stimulant that impacts the dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine in your brain. These chemicals control thoughts and feelings related to pleasure, memory and decision-making. Crack cocaine can change how the brain’s reward system works and creates cravings for the drug. It can cause short-term health issues such as:
- Rapid heart rate
- Abdominal pain
- Higher risk of heart attack or stroke
- Hallucinations and paranoia
- Decreased appetite
- High blood pressure
- Constricted blood vessels
The effects of cocaine on the brain make someone who uses it susceptible to addiction and dependence. When someone becomes dependent on crack cocaine, they feel withdrawal symptoms when they reduce their usage or stop using it.
Withdrawal from cocaine can involve the following symptoms:
- Restlessness and agitation
- Increased appetite
- Slowed activities
- Vivid nightmares
- General discomfort
Without support from an addiction professional, it can become difficult to stop using cocaine because of its withdrawal symptoms. Crack cocaine drug rehab treatment in Illinois can help you manage these symptoms so you can commit to recovery.
How to Know If You Have an Addiction to Crack Cocaine
Addiction does not always seem obvious to someone who has it. You or someone you love may have a crack cocaine addiction if you notice these signs:
- Spending a large amount of time and money on getting and using crack cocaine
- Feeling unable to stop using crack cocaine or reduce the amount used
- Needing a larger amount of crack cocaine to feel the same effects as before
- Having difficulty managing work, relationships and other commitments
Clinics for crack cocaine addiction can screen you for addiction and develop a personalized treatment plan.
Services Available at a Crack Cocaine Drug Addiction Treatment Center
Every treatment center for crack cocaine addiction takes a different approach to care. The services you receive may include:
- Therapy: Individual and group therapy will give you a supportive space where you can manage the emotional aspects of addiction.
- Medication: Your addiction doctor may prescribe medicine that reduces your withdrawal symptoms and cravings to help you follow your recovery plan.
- Social support: Some treatment centers provide social services or referrals to organizations that can help you with life’s necessities.
Your experience with treatment will depend on the clinic you visit and your symptoms.
Gateway Foundation’s Crack Cocaine Drug Treatment Programs in Illinois
When you visit Gateway Foundation for crack cocaine addiction treatment, you benefit from these approaches to care:
- Treatment for underlying issues: We can help you address any health conditions that contribute to your crack cocaine use.
- Medical evaluations and services: Our medical team will assess your physical health and provide withdrawal treatment.
- Peer support programs: Group therapy and additional services will give you the chance to support and get support from fellow patients.
- Wellness development: As you go through recovery, our team will help you find and nurture the things that bring out your passion for life.
Our team combines emotional, social, and medical support to manage all aspects of crack cocaine addiction.
Why Choose Gateway Foundation During Crack Cocaine Addiction Recovery?
Gateway Foundation’s crack cocaine drug addiction rehab centers in Illinois help patients recover from substance use disorders. We have more than 50 years of experience providing evidence-based, compassionate treatment. To learn more about our services, contact our team online.