Doctors may prescribe the opioid drug codeine to treat mild to moderately severe pain. Codeine can relieve pain that doesn’t respond to other options, but it can also become addictive to people who misuse it. The drug’s interaction with the mind and body can result in tolerance, dependence and addiction.
If you think you or a loved one has an addiction to codeine, Gateway can assist. Our codeine drug rehab treatment centers in Illinois help patients recover from addictions to substances like opioids.
What Services Can a Codeine Drug Treatment Program Include?
Modern codeine drug addiction rehabilitation centers tend to take a holistic approach to recovery. Since opioid addiction has physical, emotional, and social effects, it needs treatment that addresses all of these areas. Codeine addiction services can include:
- Medical treatment: Addiction doctors can perform a physical evaluation and prescribe medicine that will help you manage your withdrawal symptoms.
- Individual and group therapy: One-on-one and group counseling allow you to explore your feelings and thoughts about addiction in an accepting environment.
- Social services and referrals: Some addiction treatment centers have social workers on staff or may partner with community social services organizations.
Every patient has a unique experience with codeine addiction treatment based on the clinic and their personalized care plan.
How Can I Tell If I Have an Addiction to Codeine?
Patients with codeine prescriptions and recreational users alike can get addicted to codeine. You or someone you know may have a codeine addiction when showing these behaviors:
- Having an intense urge to use codeine that makes it difficult to focus on other things
- Needing larger amounts of codeine to feel the same effects as before
- Using an excessive amount of money and time to get and use codeine
- Developing uncharacteristic risky behaviors to get more codeine
- Feeling unable to stop using codeine or reduce the amount used
An addiction professional can help you figure out if you have an addiction to codeine and create a treatment strategy.
What Does Codeine Do to My Mind and Body?
Opioids like codeine have a wide range of side effects and withdrawal symptoms. Prescription opioids can cause the following side effects:
When someone builds a dependence on codeine, they can also have the following symptoms when they reduce or stop their use:
- Anxiety and restlessness
- Muscle aches
- Digestive issues
- Appetite loss
Opioid addiction treatment helps you manage the withdrawal symptoms of codeine so you can work toward an opioid-free life.
How Can I Benefit From Codeine Drug Rehab?
If you have an addiction to codeine, a treatment center can help you improve your physical and mental well-being. An opioid addiction clinic can help you achieve goals such as:
- Reconnecting with loved ones, family and friends
- Reducing and stopping your codeine misuse
- Returning to a stable everyday life at work, school and home
Addiction treatment for codeine and other opioids gives you the opportunity to start a new life.
Services at Gateway’s Illinois Codeine Drug Rehabilitation Centers
At Gateway, we aim to treat all aspects of addiction to help you stay on the path to recovery. To meet this goal, we offer services like medication-assisted treatment programs, dual diagnosis care services and a variety of program models:
- Medication-assisted treatment: During medication-assisted treatment (MAT), you will take medicine that reduces your withdrawal symptoms and cravings. With fewer physical effects of addiction, it can become easier for you to manage its behavioral symptoms.
- Dual diagnosis: A variety of mental and physical health conditions can contribute to opioid use. Dual diagnosis treatment addresses these issues to improve your chance of a successful recovery.
- Inpatient and outpatient models: We offer patients with opioid addiction both inpatient and outpatient treatment options. Residential care gives you a controlled environment for recovery, while outpatient options provide flexibility.
We provide these options for care in addition to other personalized services to target your individual needs.
Gateway helps patients in the Chicago area recover from substance use disorders like codeine addiction. Our team has more than 50 years of positive outcomes from using evidence-based practices in a compassionate environment. Schedule your first appointment today by contacting our team online.