PCP (Angel Dust) Addiction Drug Rehabilitation Treatment Center Illinois
As a dissociative drug, phencyclidine (PCP or “angel dust”) causes hallucinations and feelings of dissociation. Soon after the medical field developed PCP, it discontinued the drug because of its ability to cause aggressive behavior and psychosis. However, some people misuse angel dust for recreational purposes. Because of its effects on the brain, PCP can become addictive. Let Gateway assist if you or a loved one has an addiction to angel dust.
Side Effects and Risks of PCP Misuse
PCP impacts many of the brain’s neurotransmitters — chemicals responsible for sending signals. Neurotransmitters allow the various parts of the brain to communicate with each other and influence a wide range of functions. Angel dust affects neurotransmitters related to reward and mood, including dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine. It also blocks NMDA receptors that impact learning, emotions, memory and feelings of pain. A person who takes PCP may experience these side effects:
- Anxiety, mood swings and agitation
- Loss of sensation and balance
- Feelings of impending doom
- Leg and arm numbness
- Stiff muscles
- Memory loss
- Low blood pressure and irregular heartbeat
- Nausea and vomiting
In high doses, PCP can have incredibly dangerous effects such as:
- Damage to the skeletal muscles
Due to its effects on a person’s perception, PCP use can also cause self-injury or violent behavior. Angel dust users can cause harm to themselves or others because of these behaviors.
Signs of PCP/Angel Dust Addiction
These signs may indicate that you or someone you know has an addiction to PCP:
- Performing “runs” involving binge use of PCP for days at a time
- Ignoring relationships, obligations or hobbies to use PCP
- Having uncontrollable urges to use PCP
- Spending large amounts of time and money on using and getting PCP
- Showing a decline in self-care and general wellness
It can become difficult to tell when you have a PCP addiction because of the way that addiction develops. An angel dust drug treatment program in Illinois can perform a screening to see if you show the signs.
Treatment Options at PCP Drug Rehabilitation Centers
Drug addiction treatment centers for PCP take a variety of approaches to treating angel dust addiction. Modern substance use disorder treatment aims to address all the ways addiction impacts someone’s life. You can receive two broad categories of angel dust addiction treatment:
- Medical services: Some approaches to PCP addiction care involve the use of medication to relieve withdrawal symptoms. Clinic doctors may also treat any conditions that contribute to the patient’s PCP use. They sometimes make referrals to other providers to address specialized health issues related to the addiction.
- Behavioral support: Addiction changes the way the brain works, in turn modifying the patient’s behaviors. Behavioral services, such as therapy and group counseling, help patients learn new habits. Some patients also need to manage mental health conditions that affect their drug use.
The services you receive at a PCP drug addiction rehab center depend on the provider and your needs.
Gateway’s PCP Drug Addiction Rehabilitation Centers in Illinois
At Gateway, we take a personalized approach to every patient’s treatment. Our comprehensive care plans include drug addiction treatment services tailored to your medical history and past experiences. We look for the contributing factors behind your addiction to help you build a strategy for a successful recovery. Your Gateway care team will address the physical and emotional aspects of addiction to raise your chance of success. Consider us your partners in recovery as you work toward a drug-free life.
Benefits of Receiving Treatment for Angel Dust Addiction
Professional addiction treatment can improve your well-being by empowering you to achieve goals such as:
- Mending relationships with the people you care about
- Building a stable life at work, home or school
- Enhancing your physical and mental health
- Planning a new future without PCP
Your Gateway care team will help you set benchmarks in recovery and provide the resources to meet them.
Visit a Gateway PCP Drug Rehab Treatment Center in Illinois
With more than 50 years of positive results, Gateway assists Chicago-area patients in their addiction recovery. Our multi-site campus has various locations that make it convenient to get treatment. To learn more about our services or schedule an appointment, contact our staff today.