At Gateway Foundation, we want to promote the enjoyment of substance-free living. While recovery can be difficult and our treatment process requires a significant commitment, your time in treatment should remind you of the freedom you can experience without drugs or alcohol. Therapeutic recreation treatment helps you relearn how to enjoy activities and take care of yourself. We design recreation therapy to contribute to emotional, physical and mental healing and encourage lifestyle changes once your treatment is complete.
The Benefits of Therapeutic Recreational Activities
Recreation therapy is an activity-based strategy that uses enjoyable and engaging activities to promote your recovery and physical well-being. Substance use disorder has a significant impact on your physical, mental, emotional and social health. For those actively misusing drugs or alcohol, recreation is often the furthest thing from your mind. We promote recreation during treatment to increase physical activity, social interaction, problem-solving skills and stress management abilities.
As our clients relax, engage and increase physical movement, they discover or reignite a passion for healthy outlets and interests. Therapeutic recreation treatment promotes sober fun to help individuals find value in remaining on the path to long-term recovery.
We can tailor our recreational therapy to each client’s unique needs to fit their long-term lifestyle goals. Incorporating activities into your treatment promotes addiction-free health and enhances your physical, emotional, cognitive and social development. Plus, engaging in activities has several other benefits:
- Reconnects neuro-pathways impaired during active addiction
- Promotes a holistic recovery
- Supports development of healthy friendships and community involvement
- Helps clients achieve fitness goals
- Improves immunity
- Reinforces positive stress management
- Builds self-esteem and confidence
- Combats loneliness and depression
- Prevents boredom and reduces cravings
- Increases focus and feelings of control
- Encourages clients to find peace in recovery
- Develops positive routines that support patients long after their stay with us
Recreational Activities Offered at Gateway Foundation
Gateway Foundation provides many recreational activities that we incorporate into our client’s individualized treatment program. Our treatment centers have indoor gymnasiums, fitness centers and lovely natural surroundings where you are sure to find an activity that interests you.
Here are some of the therapeutic recreation activities offered at Gateway Foundation:
- Exercise:Physical fitness and exercise naturally boost serotonin levels, reducing cravings, easing depression and helping prevent relapse by lessening other withdrawal symptoms.
- Yoga and meditation: The practices of yoga and meditation can teach healthy coping skills that you can use to manage stress and reduce feelings of anxiety.
- Art and music: Promoting self-awareness and self-expression is an important aspect of treating substance use disorder, and art and music are healthy ways to express deep-seated thoughts and emotions and examine the effects of substance use.
- Hiking and nature walks: Connecting with nature and getting outdoors is a deeply therapeutic experience that promotes relaxation and serenity.
- Group games: At Gateway, you’ll find various games to participate in — basketball, kickball, volleyball, horseshoes, ping pong, foosball, darts, pool, our video gaming rooms and more. These activities foster team-building, social functioning and friendships. They also decrease social anxiety while giving a safe space for interpersonal skills practice.
These activities create positive outlets that help you find fresh ways to enjoy and cope with life without substances. Reigniting old passions and finding new ones through a therapeutic recreation activity empowers you to achieve long-term success in recovery.
Contact Gateway Foundation Today
Having fun activities that encourage body movement, engagement and enjoyment are essential for the healing and health of our clients. Learning to connect around these types of activities builds self-esteem, positive recovery skills, interpersonal skills and shows individuals how to have fun without drugs or alcohol.
At Gateway Foundation, we offer a continuum of care that includes various treatment options and therapies, including many therapeutic recreation activities. Our goal is to create an environment that promotes health and recovery, both now and in the future.
If you or someone you know struggles with substance addiction, contact Gateway Foundation today to learn about our individualized treatment programs.