Do you want to pursue addiction recovery in Springfield, Illinois? To get the treatment and support you need, you should know what addiction is, understand the recovery process and be aware of your options for addiction recovery services near you.
If you or someone you love is struggling to recover from addiction, you might need to take a step back and understand this condition for what it really is — a complicated disorder. Wanting to get better is a great place to start, but addiction alters the brain’s chemistry, so working with professionals to develop a well-rounded treatment plan is the best way to address addiction head-on.
Certain factors can also make some people more susceptible to addiction than others. Environmental influences, genetics and substance use at a young age can all increase the chances of an unhealthy dependence on alcohol or other drugs. The more risk factors an individual faces, the more likely they are to develop an addiction. That’s why it’s important to address the causes of addiction during treatment.
Signs of Drug Addiction
The following are some of the signs and side effects of drug addiction:
- Impaired judgment
- Loss of self-control
- Lung disease
- Abnormal heart rate
- Mental confusion, stroke, seizures or brain damage
- Abdominal pain and nausea, which may lead to weight loss and changes in appetite
- A weakened immune system
- Increased strain on the liver, which could result in a greater risk of liver damage or failure
Addiction Treatment Options
Recovering from addiction requires a personalized, patient-centric approach. That’s why we incorporate a variety of programs and services into the treatment plans at our Springfield center, including:
We work with every individual who walks through our doors to find the right approach for their unique situation.
The Recovery Process
Has your friend or relative decided to pursue addiction recovery? No one needs to go through the recovery process alone. Our addiction recovery process involves:
- Accessing peer support.
- Finding fulfillment outside of alcohol or drug use.
- Gaining access to medical assistance and support.
- Understanding any underlying problems that may have led to addiction.
How to Recover From Addiction in Springfield, Illinois
The following are the services we use in the addiction recovery process at Gateway Springfield:
- Withdrawal and detox: Withdrawal and detoxification are typically the starting points for the addiction recovery process. You will be medically monitored during your treatment and possibly given medication to reduce or prevent withdrawal symptoms.
- Counseling: We offer group and individual counseling during the addiction recovery process.
- Peer support groups: Joining a peer support group can help you prevent or manage relapses, and abstain from drug or alcohol use. A peer support group can also help you make lifestyle changes for maintaining sobriety.
- Talk therapy: Talk therapy or psychotherapy can treat mental health disorders that co-occur with addiction.
Contact us today at Gateway Foundation to learn more about our addiction recovery services in Springfield, Illinois.