Benefits of the 12-Step Recovery Treatment for Addiction
Recovery from addiction often requires significant lifestyle changes. Though there is no single path to recovery, a 12-step program can help you on your journey by:
- Providing opportunities to discuss your experiences in meetings.
- Explaining the concepts, history and role of the 12 steps in addiction recovery.
- Reducing any anxiety you may have about attending meetings.
- Lending active support during your initial involvement in the 12-step program.
- Using a forum to explore concerns and ask questions.
- Adding structure to your days through fixed meetings.
- Providing accountability for attendance to help you work toward lifelong addiction recovery.
- Building a support system and relationships from attending meetings with others and sharing experiences.
- Providing guidance in developing relationships with peers who have been in addiction recovery for a longer time.
- Having meetings available in multiple locations and at various times of the day that do not require attendance fees or medical insurance.