One of the options we offer for addiction treatment at Gateway Joliet is the 12-step recovery approach. What can you expect from this treatment? Understanding the 12-step recovery program and its benefits can help you choose the best path for your recovery.
What Is the 12-Step Recovery Treatment?
Recovery is a lifelong process. Our 12-step program for drug addiction in Joliet, Illinois, can help you as you begin your journey. This counselor-delivered, evidence-based curriculum has been proven to effectively reduce subsequent substance use.
Part of our 12-step recovery treatment at Gateway Joliet involves meetings both on-site and in the community. Our program will also provide guidance on how you can incorporate a group into your personal recovery plan. The steps include:
- Admitting your lack of power over addiction.
- Believing a higher power can help.
- Turning over control to the higher power.
- Making a personal inventory.
- Admitting your wrongs.
- Allowing the higher power to correct your shortcomings.
- Requesting that the higher power remove these shortcomings.
- Making a list of how you have wronged others and preparing to make amends.
- Reaching out to those you have hurt, unless this would harm the person.
- Taking a personal inventory and admitting your wrongs.
- Seeking connection and enlightenment from the higher power via meditation and prayer.
- Bringing the message of the program to those in need.
Benefits of the 12-Step Recovery Treatment for Addiction
Recovery from addiction often requires significant lifestyle changes. Though there is no single path to recovery, a 12-step program can help you on your journey by:
- Providing opportunities to discuss your experiences in meetings.
- Explaining the concepts, history and role of the 12 steps in addiction recovery.
- Reducing any anxiety you may have about attending meetings.
- Lending active support during your initial involvement in the 12-step program.
- Using a forum to explore concerns and ask questions.
- Adding structure to your days through fixed meetings.
- Providing accountability for attendance to help you work toward lifelong addiction recovery.
- Building a support system and relationships from attending meetings with others and sharing experiences.
- Providing guidance in developing relationships with peers who have been in addiction recovery for a longer time.
- Having meetings available in multiple locations and at various times of the day that do not require attendance fees or medical insurance.
How Gateway Foundation Uses the 12-Step Recovery Program
To sustain a healthy lifestyle after you complete a 12-step recovery treatment, you need to maintain a reliable support network and solid commitment to sobriety. Because addiction is complex, it often requires multiple services for treatment. At Gateway Joliet, we use a combination of services with the 12-step recovery treatment, including:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy.
- DUI classes.
- Trauma therapy.
- Motivational interviewing.
- Dual diagnosis treatment.
- Individual and group therapy.
- Mindfulness-based sobriety.
- Dialectical behavior therapy.
- Medication-assisted treatment.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy.
Our compassionate staff will support you every step of the way as you work toward a drug- or alcohol-free life. Contact us at Gateway Foundation for additional information about our 12-step recovery treatment for addiction in Joliet, Illinois.