For some individuals, a key component of their recovery begins with getting the substance they’re addicted to out of their system. Whether it’s alcohol, opioids, heroin or other drugs, medically supervised withdrawal is one of the safest and most effective detoxing methods.
At Gateway Foundation in Springfield, IL, we offer vital medical detoxification services for addiction to help patients get their recovery off to a great start. While not everyone needs medical detox, we can help you determine if this is the right service for you.
What Is Medical Detoxification?
Medical detoxification refers to a professional addiction treatment service that helps individuals safely and effectively withdraw from substance misuse. If you’re struggling with withdrawal or afraid of the discomfort commonly associated with detox, you may be intimidated by the idea of medical detoxification. However, at Gateway Springfield, we have the understanding and medical experience to see our clients through this process.
In the first few days of quitting a substance, the most severe physical symptoms appear. The key to medical detoxification is anticipating their occurrence and treating them safely. As pain and discomfort taper off, you can transition from medical detox into one of our treatment programs. Sometimes, however, withdrawal symptoms linger — especially the psychological and emotional side effects.
When you stop using, your brain’s chemical balance is impacted, leading to the most common symptoms associated with withdrawal, including:
- Muscle pain
- Sensitivity to pain
- Severe fatigue
- Shakiness or trembling
- Congestion or runny nose
- Loss of appetite
- Agitation or irritability
- Depression or anxiety
- Sleep disturbances
Benefits of Medical Detox for Addiction in Springfield, IL
At Gateway Springfield, your medical detoxification will consist of physician-directed care, 24/7 nursing support and medication to ensure your safety and comfort. This time of increased medical supervision and support provides many benefits:
- Reduced withdrawal symptoms: Medical support and oversight help see you safely through withdrawal’s physical and psychological symptoms. From experiencing seizures to losing too much weight due to appetite loss, you can trust our team will be on hand in case you need medical attention.
- Therapy and counseling: Along with physical withdrawal symptoms, there are many emotional and psychological side effects. Both group and individual counseling can help identify and address these, helping you overcome emotional pain.
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT): For some clients, MAT can help prevent relapse. This treatment involves using medication coupled with therapy to reduce withdrawal symptoms and manage cravings.
Medical Detoxification and Other Services Available in Springfield, IL
In addition to our medical detoxification services, we personalize each client’s treatment plan by offering various evidence-based therapy services and recovery programs. Some of our effective treatments include:
- Motivational interviewing
- Acceptance and commitment therapy
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Group therapy
- Mindfulness-based sobriety
Take Your First Steps Toward Recovery at Gateway Springfield
Gateway Springfield is proud to provide medical detoxification treatment that eases the transition from addiction to sobriety. If you would like to learn more, please contact us today.