At Gateway Chicago River North, we offer a wide range of evidence-based therapies, including mindfulness-based approaches. This method enables people in recovery to reframe their thoughts about addiction in combination with medical and behavioral services. Find out how we implement mindfulness into addiction recovery in Chicago, IL.
What Is Mindfulness-Based Sobriety?
The practice of mindfulness-based sobriety involves using mindfulness techniques for addiction recovery. Mindfulness is the practice of focusing on the current moment instead of past or future worries. By centering thoughts on present ideas and feelings, clients can manage cravings and impulsive behaviors more effectively.
Benefits of Mindfulness for Recovery
According to research on addiction neuroscience, mindfulness has numerous benefits for people in recovery. These advantages include:
- A better understanding of emotions and behaviors. During mindfulness therapy, clients will learn how to recognize their thoughts and actions as they happen. They’ll pay attention to what they feel and why they feel that way to better grasp the sources of their symptoms.
- Increased mindfulness outside of treatment. Evidence shows that as someone practices deliberate mindfulness, they start to perform subconscious mindfulness in everyday life. Mindfulness-based therapy for addiction will teach clients cognitive skills that they can use wherever they go.
- Improved reactions to stressors and triggers. By enhancing an individual’s ability to manage addiction’s emotional symptoms, mindfulness therapy can help them understand and control their reactions to negative events. It gives clients the tools to understand why they react to stressors with addictive behaviors and what they can do to redirect their feelings.
- Possible reduction in cravings. Preliminary studies show a benefit of mindfulness-based sobriety for addiction is reduced craving frequency. Neuroscientists believe that it could restructure the brain’s reward system, reducing addictive urges.
How We Use Mindfulness-Based Sobriety for Addiction in Chicago, IL
Clients at Gateway Chicago River North can take part in mindfulness-based sobriety as part of their personalized treatment plans. Our mindfulness therapies focus on:
- Implementing evidence-based approaches. By making mindfulness-based therapy a service option at our treatment center, clients who prefer more holistic approaches can get the best of both worlds. Mindfulness practices appeal to holistic-minded clients while having roots in scientific evidence.
- Learning to identify and manage triggers. Our mindfulness-based sobriety treatments for addiction aim to help clients determine their triggers and find ways to cope with them. Mindfulness practices involve finding the “why” and “how” of feelings, making them ideal for trigger management.
- Accepting and focusing on present thoughts. People in recovery often suppress their emotions or worry about the future. Clients who have these feelings can acknowledge their emotions and move on productively with a mindfulness-based approach.
- Incorporating mindfulness into other evidence-based services. Mindfulness-based sobriety is just one of the treatments we offer at Gateway. We provide it as part of comprehensive services that feature medical, behavioral and social elements.
Participate in Mindfulness-Based Therapy and Sobriety for Addiction in Chicago, IL
Gateway Chicago River North offers evidence-based outpatient addiction treatment to clients dealing with a variety of substance use disorders. Find out more about mindfulness-based sobriety and our other services by contacting our staff online or calling us at 312-663-8853.