According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, nearly 6% of adults in the United States have an alcohol addiction. If you or someone you know has this condition, an addiction treatment center can help with recovery.
Our River North location in Chicago, IL, offers rehab services for alcohol addiction. We provide a personalized combination of evidence-based therapies to address the physical and emotional aspects of this disorder.
What Is Alcohol Addiction?
Also known as alcoholism or alcohol use disorder (AUD), alcohol addiction is a physical and psychological dependence on alcohol. Alcohol addiction looks different for every person because it covers a spectrum of related symptoms. When left unaddressed, it can cause a wide range of medical and psychological complications. An alcohol addiction treatment center can provide the physical and mental health services needed to begin a life without alcohol.
What Are the Signs of Alcohol Addiction?
Showing more than one of these signs or another Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) criterion could indicate that someone has AUD:
- Drinking more or longer than originally intended
- Having strong physical and mental cravings to drink alcohol
- Cutting back on favorite activities to focus on drinking
- Continuing to drink despite social, physical or emotional consequences
- Performing risky behaviors while drinking
- Dedicating a large amount of time or money to drinking
How Do Treatment Centers Address Alcohol Addiction?
Since addiction impacts many aspects of life, evidence-based AUD treatment centers aim to address these elements of the disorder:
- Physical: Medical services for withdrawal management reduce the physical symptoms of addiction, so a person with AUD can build recovery skills.
- Psychological: Since addiction causes changes in a person’s thoughts and behavior, psychological services such as counseling can help them learn new thought patterns.
- Social: Some clients in alcohol addiction treatment receive social services to help them reintegrate into society after AUD impacts their available resources.
How Does Gateway Chicago River North Treat Alcohol Addiction?
At our alcohol rehab center in Chicago, IL, we offer evidence-based services such as the following to address the physical, psychological and social aspects of addiction:
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT): Some of our clients in alcohol addiction recovery receive medication that reduces their withdrawal symptoms to help them adjust to sober living.
- Counseling: Our counselors specialize in many models of addiction therapy, including dialectical behavior therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Group and family programs: We offer recovery group meetings and group programs to give clients a space where they can recover together. Our services also include family therapy that helps clients and their families restore their relationships and support each other.
- Alumni services: After completing treatment at Gateway, our clients can participate in alumni services that promote sustained recovery.
Where Can You Find a Rehab Center for Alcohol Addiction in Chicago, IL?
If you need a Chicago, IL, alcohol rehab center, consider Gateway Chicago River North for outpatient services. We encourage you to reach out to us to learn more about our services.
Start the path to recovery today by calling us at 877-381-6538 or contacting our team online.