Recovering from drug or alcohol addiction requires an enormous amount of courage, strength and support. If you or a loved one is currently overcoming addiction, you may be looking for a place to turn for assistance. At Gateway Foundation, our professionals offer compassionate care and addiction support to help you throughout every stage of your recovery journey.
What Is Addiction?
Addiction is a disease that can have long-term effects on an individual’s mental and physical health. Dependence on drugs or alcohol and an inability to quit can lead to diminished health, strained family and personal relationships and difficulty fulfilling everyday responsibilities.
The Process of Overcoming Addiction
Overcoming addiction is not something that happens overnight. The process of recovery is a rewarding journey — one that will take time, strength and hard work.
The process begins with a decision. Once you’ve decided it’s time to make a change, it can be helpful to have a specific goal in mind that you’re working towards. Preparing to make a change involves removing addictive substances, eliminating environmental triggers and communicating your decision to friends and family.
Next, many individuals seek professional help in order to successfully overcome addiction. This may include inpatient or outpatient rehab care for either a short-term or long-term stay. Your plan may include a combination of cognitive behavior therapy, group therapy, mindfulness-based approaches and medication-assisted treatment.
Your journey doesn’t end once treatment is complete. Your ongoing journey will likely include regular meetings with a support group, taking advantage of alumni resources and implementing long-term life changes.
How to Support Loved Ones Who Are Overcoming Addiction
Are you wondering how to show support for those overcoming addiction? Friends and family have a major role to play in recovery — and we invite you to be a part of the process at our warm and welcoming Chicago Kedzie location.
In addition to attending family therapy sessions with your loved one, you can show your support in a number of ways:
- Call, email, write or visit whenever allowed — let your loved one know you’re thinking about them.
- Make the lifestyle changes needed to eliminate potential triggers.
- Avoid enabling or making excuses for your loved one’s addiction.
- Set and follow healthy boundaries — and respect any boundaries that your loved one sets for themselves.
- Encourage your loved one to seek help and stay optimistic about recovery.
Addiction Support Services at Gateway Foundation in Chicago, IL
Addiction is a process that no one should go through alone. If you’re looking for professional support for overcoming addiction in Chicago, Gateway Foundation has a place for you. Our Chicago Kedzie facility is staffed by a compassionate team of medical professionals and licensed clinical counselors. We create a supportive community that cares for every individual’s unique needs and goals.
Our addiction support services include:
- Medical support: Our experienced medical support includes withdrawal management to ease ongoing symptoms as well as medication-assisted treatment as needed.
- Peer support: Our Chicago Kedzie location creates a close-knit community where individuals go through recovery together. This bond is strengthened through community living, group therapy and social opportunities.
- Counseling support: Our therapy programs are customized to your needs. These often include individual and family therapy options, mindfulness-based sobriety practices, motivational interviewing and cognitive behavioral therapy.
Contact Our Chicago Kedzie Location Today
At Gateway Foundation, we’re committed to supporting you throughout your recovery journey. No matter your story, we’re here to help you step into a brighter future. Give us a call today to learn more about addiction support in Chicago.