Opiate addiction is a rising problem throughout Illinois and the entire United States. If you need help breaking free from opioids, Gateway Foundation can help. Our opiate addiction rehab center in Aurora, IL offers evidence-based treatment in a caring environment of hope and compassion. Learn more about opiate addiction and the treatments we utilize to combat this growing epidemic.
What Are Opioids?
Opioids are highly addictive drugs with properties that become dangerous when misused. The terms “opioids” and “opiates” are often used interchangeably, but there is a distinction. Opiates are substances derived from the opium poppy plant. Opioids include both natural and synthetic drugs that produce similar effects as opiates.
Opioids bind to receptors in the brain, producing a short state of euphoria and depressing the nervous system. This is what gives the substance its pain-relieving characteristics.
There are both illicit and prescription opioids. Some people seek the high that these drugs produce. Others are prescribed opioids, and through long-term use or misuse, become dependent. Whether its an illegal substance like heroin or a prescription like morphine or codeine, opiate use can lead to opioid addiction.
What Is Opiate Addiction?
When used correctly under a doctor’s supervision and direction, prescription opiates can be used as a beneficial pain management technique. However, illegal opiates or misusing prescription opioids puts individuals at high risk for dependence and addiction.
While the initial decision to use opioids is usually voluntary, continued use can cause brain changes and intense urges called cravings. Changes to your brain’s chemistry can also interfere with your self-control and ability to resist cravings when they arise. After a while, physical dependence can make it feel impossible to stop taking opiates. Even if you try to quit, intense withdrawal symptoms make this a miserable process, leading many to relapse.
The Signs of Opiate Addiction
It can be difficult to figure out if you have an opiate addiction, especially if your doctor prescribed these drugs. Signs of an addiction to opioids can include:
- Changes in behavior and decision making
- Stocking up on opiate medications or visiting multiple doctors for prescriptions
- Excessive time thinking about or using opiates
- Spending large amounts of money on opiates
- Physical symptoms such as digestive issues, sleep changes and shallow breathing
Opiate Addiction Therapy Services Available in Aurora, IL
If you show signs of opiate addiction, the professionals at Gateway Foundation are here to help. Our opiate addiction treatment services in Aurora, IL include a variety of elements to ensure we address the physical, mental and emotional impact of opiate addiction on your life. Our services include:
- Medical care: Services like medication-assisted treatment and withdrawal management can help you handle addiction’s physical symptoms so you can focus on your recovery.
- Therapy services and life planning: Our personalized therapy programs focus on identifying triggers as well as relapse prevention training to ensure success after treatment.
- Underlying conditions: Mental health issues and medical conditions can contribute to opiate misuse. We can address and treat any co-occurring conditions alongside your addiction treatment plan.
- Continued care: During and after your time with us, our team is committed to supporting you in every step of your recovery journey.
Learn More About Opiate Addiction Rehab Services in Aurora, IL
At Gateway Foundation in Aurora, you can receive evidence-based treatment for opiate addiction in a safe and caring environment. Contact us today by calling 855.944.3595 and begin your journey to hope and healing.