When you’ve made up your mind to seek treatment for addiction, it can be hard to know where to start. Many people turn to the written word in times of distress. Spiritual books, lists and inspirational quotes are all forms of reading material that can help motivate you to overcome an addiction.
Often, a person will turn to alcohol or other drugs if they’ve experienced trauma in their lives. Psychological, social, physical and emotional abuse can compel people to adopt addictive habits as a way to shut out the pain of trauma. Because addictions alter mind states, they are used by sufferers to shut out emotional distress, isolation or other unpleasant memories from the past. Optimism is a proven way to combat addiction. What’s more, repeating or memorizing a series of inspirational quotes is one of the best ways to develop and maintain a positive attitude.
Here are 16 addiction recovery quotes to inspire you and remember on difficult days:
- “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” – Theodore Roosevelt
- “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day-in and day-out.” – Robert Collier
- “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Every worthy act is difficult. Ascent is always difficult. Descent is easy and often slippery.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
- “Amazing how we can light tomorrow with today.” – Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “Life doesn’t get easier or more forgiving. We get stronger and more resilient.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Addiction is just a way of trying to get at something else. Something bigger. Call it transcendence if you want, but it’s like a rat in a maze. We all want the same thing. We all have this hole. The thing you want offers relief, but it’s a trap.” – Tess Callahan
- “Addiction: the disease that makes you too selfish to see the havoc that you created or care about the people whose lives you shattered.” – Unknown
- “Sometimes you’ve just got to give yourself what you wish someone else would give you.” – Dr. Phil
- “Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.” – C.S. Lewis
- “If you can quit for a day, you can quit for a lifetime.” – Benjamin Alire Sáenz
- “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Happiness is where we find it, but rarely where we seek it.” – J. Petit Senn
- “The only journey is the one within.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
Other Addiction Recovery Treatment Options
If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, we’re here to help. Gateway Foundation offers many services including mindfulness-based sobriety, trauma therapy, acceptance and commitment therapy, 12-step addiction treatment, cognitive behavioral therapy and more. Our trained professionals are ready to help you or a loved one recover from drug or alcohol addiction. Contact us today to learn more.