Adderall treats the symptoms of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). When taken as prescribed, this medication can help patients with ADHD improve their focus and attention. However, it can also become addictive when someone misuses it.
If you have an addiction to this medication, Gateway Foundation can help. Our Adderall drug treatment program in Illinois helps people just like you recover.
In What Ways Does Adderall Affect the Brain and Body?
Adderall contains two central nervous system stimulants: amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. These compounds act like the brain chemicals dopamine, norepinephrine and epinephrine. Since Adderall contains dopamine, it triggers feelings related to reward that can urge someone to keep taking it. Doctors prescribe Adderall in a way that minimizes addiction, but misusing it increases the risk.
Adderall can also cause side effects such as:
- Increased blood pressure
- Heart palpitations
With a doctor’s supervision, Adderall can help relieve the symptoms of ADHD. However, it also has many risks for anyone who misuses it.
How Do I Know If I Have an Adderall Addiction?
An Adderall addiction can happen when someone takes it in higher doses, for a longer time, and more frequently than prescribed. Someone who uses Adderall without a prescription also has a risk of addiction. You may have an addiction to Adderall if you show signs such as:
- Prioritizing Adderall over your friends, family and obligations
- Dedicating a large amount of money and time to getting and using Adderall
- Crushing, snorting or manipulating Adderall to get a greater effect
You may also feel the effects of withdrawal when a dose of Adderall wears off. These symptoms include:
- Panic attacks
- High blood pressure
- Weight loss
If you think you have an Adderall addiction, you have help available. Like many illnesses, Adderall addiction can receive treatment and support through drug addiction rehabilitation.
What Treatment Options Exist for Adderall Addiction?
Treatment for addiction to prescription stimulants like Adderall may include services like:
- Medical evaluation: When you start Adderall addiction treatment, you’ll go through a medical evaluation to help your treatment team understand your medical history.
- Addiction counseling: Since addiction impacts your behavior, therapy for stimulant addiction will help you learn new behaviors.
- Supervised dosing: A doctor may taper you off Adderall by gradually decreasing the amount you take in a supervised environment.
- Relapse prevention: After you stop taking Adderall, your treatment center might provide ongoing therapy to prevent relapse.
Everyone has a unique experience with an Adderall drug addiction rehabilitation center, so the services you receive might differ.
How Can I Benefit From Adderall Drug Addiction Rehab in Illinois?
Effective Adderall drug addiction treatment centers take a holistic approach to your well-being. Addiction impacts every aspect of life, including social interaction, physical health, emotional wellness and financial stability. A comprehensive Adderall drug program in Illinois can attempt to help you with all of the addiction’s effects.
Successful Adderall addiction treatment can provide these benefits and more:
- Reconnecting with friends, family and loved ones
- Managing uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms
- Building a support network of people who understand addiction
- Stabilizing your life at home, work and school
During Adderall addiction treatment, your treatment team will help you set recovery goals and meet them. You can take back the life you had before Adderall or build a completely new one.
What Can I Expect From Adderall Drug Rehab Treatment at Gateway Foundation?
At Gateway Foundation, you will follow these steps in treatment with the help of our addiction professionals:
- Patient evaluation: Your treatment team will evaluate your physical and mental health to develop a personalized treatment plan.
- Addressing underlying conditions: If you have any conditions that contribute to your Adderall misuse, your clinic doctor will help you treat them alongside your addiction.
- Learning new coping behaviors: Through services like group therapy and individual counseling, your treatment team will help you learn critical recovery skills.
- Preventing future relapse: As part of your personalized treatment plan, you will also receive relapse prevention services to help you stay on the path to recovery.
With multiple types of therapy available at Gateway Foundation, you can work with our providers to find an approach that works best for you.
Why Choose Gateway Foundation for Adderall Drug Addiction Treatment in Illinois?
Gateway Foundation has more than 50 years of history of offering drug rehabilitation for Adderall and other drugs. Our multiple locations throughout the Chicago area make it convenient for patients to get treatment. Learn more about our Adderall drug addiction rehab centers in Illinois by contacting our caring staff today.